If you're like me, and I know I am...

Friday, December 15, 2006

Smallville is not worth watching


I haven't watched the WB/CW show "Smallville" since season one.
The reason is it's just another Superman soap opera only slightly
better than Lois & Clark. Rule of thumb for me is, if my mom
and sister like a superhero movie, chances are I won't. Superheroes
aren't about romantic interludes and will they are won't they plotlines.
Superheroes are about good vs. evil, men and women in cool costumes
kicking the crap out of bad people and making us all feel that there is
a higher purpose to which we should all be committed.
All they do on CW is ponder about how sexy everyone is and titilate
us with missed moments of intimacy. I want to see Superman fly so
fast it hurts so he can stop a jet from crashing into a football stadium.
I want to see Spider-man overcome his personal problems to stop
a subway train from going off the rails. I want to see Batman outsmart
ancient evil while shoving a batarang up its doo-doo hole. I don't
care what Lois Lane, Mary Jane or Vicki Vale know, don't know or
care about. I kind of care what Superman, Spider-man and Batman
think about them because it adds depth to their character if they
deny themselves love to keep their paramours safe but these
objects of affection are not the main focus of the heroic journey.

No comments: