If you're like me, and I know I am...

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Bad Driving

Here's a peeve, won't call it a pet, but it makes me peevish
when I'm trying to get somewhere ... especially on a Sunday.
People seem to have no kinesthetic awareness when they
are driving. Two cars driving side by side doing exactly the
speed limit in the only two lanes available while 10 cars line
up behind them praying for a chance to pass is my peeve.
Stagger that shit people, it's simple. It's not only simple
it's safer. You are much more likely to get into an accident
while driving right next to some unknown quantity than if
you are two car lengths ahead or behind it. It gets you
out of harms way or gives you more reaction time. What
are you gonna do if some sack careens into you from the
right or left? Nothing, that's what.
Now you add into that equation the number of people
lining up behind you who would have to slam on their breaks
or slam into your ass and it behooves you to step on it or at
least let the guy next to you go faster thus creating a space
through which other cars might pass. But people don't do
that. Watch them next time, it's like a sickness. People will
actually adjust their speed a bit here and there just to stay
alongside other drivers. I believe this is based on some
psychological need to be a part of the herd. And as goes
traffic, so goes politics. In fact, I bet you find more
"moderates" who plug up traffic than conservatives or
liberals who, think what you will about their politics, are
not just sitting on the pot. They are definitely shitting.

No comments: