If you're like me, and I know I am...

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Whogivesashit.com

Santa, Idaho voted this week to change its name to SecretSanta.com, Idaho in exchange for cash, according to a Reuters article. I was very briefly thinking about ranting out a little screed on the evils of corporatism and how businesses rob us of our individuality, but then I figured fuck it. Towns have always been labeled by whoever had the cash to name them. Ames, Dodge, Springfield, Polk, and on and on. If you have a railroad running through your state, you've got towns, counties, roads and parks bearing these names because some rich asshole that nobody remembers wanted his name on everything at the height of the rail boom. If a bunch of hicks in the sticks want to change their town's name to just the latest fad for some money, I'm not gonna moan about it any more than I do the fact that Hershey, PA is named after the guy who set his chocolate factory in the middle of a cornfield. Maybe some other day I'd give a damn, but right now, nothing surprises me.

No comments: