If you're like me, and I know I am...

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Consumer goods ... as far as the eye can see


I went to the new Mall of the Bluffs Hy-Vee
this morning at 6:30. It was a trip. For one
thing, everything in the store was completely
perfectly lined up. The cans, the produce, the
toilet paper, the magazines ... everything was
facing front, evenly spaced and numbered.
Even in the produce section you had six green
peppers next to six each of yellow and red.
Walking down the aisles, the colors of
consumerism were blinding. Normally,
all those cans and bags and bottles are
just askew enough to create a sort of
nondescript melange. The way this store's
laid out it looks like a store in a movie
making fun of consumerism. It was funny,
but it actually hurt the eyes to look at it.

Then I had the salad bar for breakfast.

I went back around 6:30 that night because
this is a really good salad bar, especially for
around five bucks. After one whole day of
shopping, the pop aisle had been all mussed
up but the soup and canned goods aisle was
still perfect. The produce wasn't fucked up either.
I don't think this was because they had realigned
everything all day long, I think it was because no
one had been in to buy those things.

Then I had the soup and salad bar for dinner.

1 comment:

Christian said...

I love this post. You should have taken pictures of the perfectly aligned produce and such.