If you're like me, and I know I am...

Monday, November 14, 2005

Turning conservative

I'm a big lefty. I believe in peace, love and
understaning ... all that shit. But even so
there is something inside of me that is
attracted to fascism. I am intellectually
opposed to the death penalty but deep
down in the primitive part of my brain
where the ape man lives and dreams of
tearing apart spider monkeys for fun, I
love it when someone who deserves it fries.
Some piece of crap of kidnaps and violates a
child isn't someone I want to keep alive deep
down in my heart. The Tarzan in me'd like
beat them to death with the thin end of a pool
cue. Take my time, really enjoy it over the
course of a couple days.

This does not create the psychic disconnect
in me that it once did. I have come to realize
that liberalism is at least partially a romantic
notion and romantics are often disappointed.
We'll never get the utopia were fighting for
and we get tired of fighting. We're like a bunch
of jilted lovers who turn from love to hate quickly
because both are rooted in passion.

This is what makes neo-cons possible. After
years of pragmatically insisting on setting the
standard for the world, these disappointed
romantics want the world to either be a better
place or else as though we can bomb Baghdad
and all of Iraq into loving democracy and The
American Way.

I've got a low frustration threshold to start with
so it really wont surprise me if one day I go over
the fence. Most of my friends are already leaning
that way because they've got money, kids and
everything to lose.

No comments: