If you're like me, and I know I am...

Saturday, April 29, 2006

It's comin' back around again

"Bush's approval rating just dropped to 32% -- a number
at which both water and political clout freeze."
--Arianna Huffington

I remember the sense of despair I felt when that son of a bitch W stole the 2000 election while the media, the Democrats, Congress and every one of us sat by and watched as if we had no choice but to lay there and take it. Once again, the country had taken a massive swing to the right. Conservatives were pumped up on their own bullshit rhetoric thinking they had some kind of mandate or right to rule. Personally, I blame those fucking Naderites who said "things can't get any worse." Well it did ... and how.

I remember telling myself that this too would pass. I just had to be patient. So when the same God damn thing happened in 2004 -- after four years of idiocy, incompetence and pointless wars -- I almost went apoplectic. But still, I said, things will come around. People will figure this fuckin' guy out.

I think it's safe to say that when your approval rating hits 32%, people have figured you out. It amazes me that the remaining 32% will even admit that they support W let alone that they are still fanatically devoted to him and his "world view." I think it's a case of things have gotten so bad that they are really hoping that we are just in the midst of some kind of revolution that will result in a much better world. They think we are just living in the hard times that precede a golden age, but that's largely bullshit. For one thing, I haven't even heard a rough plan for how this bright new future is supposed to come about. We are really working TOWARD anything, we're just fighting a pointless war in a country full of people who hate us and will always hate us so Haliburton can make some extra cash now while the gettin' is good. It's pretty obvious.

Greed has never been a good foundation for lasting, positive change. We might get over it eventually, but by then ants or monkeys will have taken our place.

No comments: