If you're like me, and I know I am...

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Don't Box Me In


Here's an example of the kind of weird coincidence of events that I have notice on a fairly regular basis in my life. It may seem mundane at first but if it happens often enough, it makes you wonder why.

I just got a DVR with my cable service. This allows me to record and watch all sorts of movies on every cable channel on my system's lineup. I've got all the many HBO's and Cinemax's and God knows what else. Because my service is digital it comes with a guide that I can peruse endlessly and I do. About a week ago, "Rumblefish" was on Cinemax for Women at 3 a.m. This movie came out in 1983 and I never saw it in the theater or on cable. It wasn't a real high priority so I never sought it out in the Blockbuster, but I don't remember seeing it on the shelf. If I did, like I said, not a priority. But since it was free, I figured let's see if it was worth the 23 year wait.

Now this is not the coincidence, I mean, what the hell, it was bound to be on TNT or WGN sometime. But I kept the flick in m DVR list for about a week and then last night I started watching it before I went to bed. I got about half way through it, turned it off and fell asleep. Today, I heard "Don't Box Me In" by Stan Ridgeway and Stewart Copeland on the radio. Now I haven't heard this song since probably 1983 or 2198 and even then maybe just a few times.
"Don't Box Me In" is the theme song from "Rumblefish." I was just browsing the stations in my car, too, not listening to some 80s show for hours on end. There is no connection between the radio and Cinemax. I wasn't looking for either piece of media. I am probably about the only guy in five counties who would even remember "Rumblefish" and if ANYBODY remembers "Don't Box Me In" I'd be surprised.

Now, maybe this doesn't impress you and that's OK. It isn't like this is a miracle from the Lord or anything. But when it happens to you, it's a real Twilight Zone moment. Mathematically spekaing, it's pretty unlikely.

No comments: