If you're like me, and I know I am...

Thursday, April 20, 2006

It ain't easy being green, but it's delicious

The more I work with old people, the more I realize that Soylent Green is a good idea. I understand that someone who once attended a one-room school house on the prairie might not be able to understand how to use email or a computer or a George Foreman Grill, but how about a fuckin' button? How about the God damn on switch on their freakin' TV? I remember how way back in the old days (the 70s) we used to turn lamps on and off with switches and buttons. Now that I recall, this technology was invented back when electricity was invented so even the oldest of people alive today should have some passing familiarity with the concept of a power switch.

Now move that switch to you remote control (or clicker if you first saw one in the 50s) and it does the same freakin' thing ... just remotely. But day in and day out, I talk to old people who act like not only is a button a thing they've never seen before but that it is my duty as someone younger than them to explain how it works. I try to be patient because I understand how complicated these things can be, but I'm still pretty much disgusted.

Soylent Green. It's a good idea.

No comments: