If you're like me, and I know I am...

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Mix it up ... racially




Some people talk about "race-mixing" as if it were a bad
thing. Me, I can't wait for the day when everyone in America
and the world at large looks like Rae Dawn Chong, Ice-T, that
chick from Wayne's World, Mariah Carey (though she is
not the best example), Nia Peeples, Lexa Doig (pictured above), Appalonia, Prince,
Sheila E., all members of the Revolution, really, and me.

I want everyone to be unable to specify what their
ethnicity is without mentioning at least three viable
options of which they are equally proud. I want
everyone to find their pride scattered across the
genetic winds. I want the people of the world to truly
be "of the world."

Take me. I'm Indian, Norman English (which is part
French, part Viking AND Limey) on my dad's side, Dutch
and French on my mom's. As a result, I can't REALLY
hate the French and when I do make jokes about the
cheese eaters, I'm entitled. I mean no real offense
and take none. I am everything and nothing. My DNA
is like a salad bar. I can take what I want
and leave the rest.

It's a very Zen way to be ... in a gluttonous kind of way.

No comments: