If you're like me, and I know I am...

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Pepperoni Trio? How about just one GOOD kind


Good pizza, like good sex, is a rare and beautiful thing
that costs a lot of money. I see that Pizza Slut has a new
kind of pizza to wrangle folks into their corporate death
pizzareia, The Pepperoni Trio, featuring "classic pepperoni,
"Southwestern" pepperoni and hickory-smoked "flavor" pepperoni.

This sounds like an absolute abortion to me. First of all,
there are dozens of ACTUAL varieties of pepperoni and for
practical purposes, a hundred or more legitimate types of
Italian meats and sausages like pepperoni which is just a
time of salumi, which is the category of sausages that includes
salami, a kind of meat most Americans would act like SHOULDN'T
be on a pizza.

Toppings are not what makes for good pizza, the crust is
what does it. You can put all the "good" toppings you want
on a pizza, but if the crust is shit, the pizza is done for.
If you have a great crust, you don't need tons of toppings
to make it palatable, in fact, one topping is actually
prefereable.

My favorite local pizza joint, Pizza Counter, is actually
pretty damn good. They don't do anything remotely fancy,
but they make a really good crust. I used to get their combo
until they had a special on a single topping pizza. I was
blown away. And they are no more expensive than the Slut.
Now all I need is a pepperoni pie (large is $9) and I got
two meals. Which IS good because like I said, they don't
get adventurous. DaVinci's in Ames Iowa makes a great smoked
turkey alfredo with tomatoes, red onions and bacon that
kicks ass. Again, their crust rocks so they could put an
old shoe on their and it would rock.

This just goes back to the fact that Americans eat shit
and wouldn't know good food if it crawled up their ass.
FRESH people! Fresh! Is it so hard to do things right?
And if Americans demanded fresh and spent a dollar more
for good local products, they'd eat better, healthier fare,
keep money in their community and have something they could
be proud of. Who the hell is proud of their local Pizza
Hut? When friends come into town, I don't say, "Oh you
have to try our best local Pizza Hut, it's exactly like
yours you know."

Anyway, Pizza Counter and DaVinci's (Ames and Lincoln, NE),
try them if you are ever in the sticks.

No comments: