If you're like me, and I know I am...

Friday, March 11, 2005

Don't want to be an American Idiot

According to a CNN story today, most Americans
don't know the lyrics to our national anthem,
the "Star-Spangled Banner."

I'd be willing to bet that most Americans can't
remember the name of "that song that starts 'oh say
can you see'" either, but one harsh reality at a time,
please. As jingoistic and nationalistic as many
Americans are, it should surprise someone that they
cannot remember the lyrics to a song that is taught
in many schools (not as many as when music was taught
in schools) as well as sung before EVERY SPORTING EVENT
IN THE UNITED STATES from little league games to
the Superbowl.

And yet Americans just can't find the time or brain
power to remember the lyrics to the single most
patriotic song in our nation's history? Oh sure, they
are opposed to gay marriage and in favor of letting
the president do whatever he wants to because, after all,
they are patriots, but don't expect them to remember 50
words ... IN A ROW.

Conclusion: Americans are a bunch of fucking idiots.

No surprise there, I reckon. I do not discount my own
stupidity. I'm sure I'd fail any number of tests that
could be given testing my knowledge of American government
and history, but I'd do a damn sight better than the average
Big-Mouthed Joe Six-Pack who thinks Canada is not a country,
but a continent, that newspapers are publicly funded, that
conservatives conserve things, that voting doesn't matter,
and that Britney Spears was a virgin the first time they
heard of her.

No comments: