If you're like me, and I know I am...

Friday, March 10, 2006

Relive the past? I'm living it every day

I've got this buddy coming into town next week who always insists on taking everyone out to this shitty restaurant called Spaghetti Works. He pays for it, so there is something to be said for that, right. It's free. At least his company pays for it.

Spaghetti Works is the kind of place that was really cool to hit up about 20 or 30 years ago when eating all the soft-as-shit spaghetti you could eat with such amazing sauces as "meat" and "butter" on. Now it just seems passe to me. It's an institution but the food fucking sucks. At least gimme my pasta al dente if spaghetti is truly your specialty, but no this shit's about as good as high school cafeteria fair.

We are 37-40 years old. That's like grown up aged. It would be nice if we could all go out to a proper restaurant, I think. Sit about. Enjoy each others company.

My buddy is one of those guys who acts like he's picky about what he eats, yet he eats shit. I've seen it. If we talk about ordering pizza, he wants Pizza Slut. Yet when someone suggests going to Valentino's, he says he gets tired of eating at corporate chains.

And the whole thing is bound up with this ridiculous sentimental notion like going to these shitholes is some kind of blast from the past. Well fuck that. I'm still living here and a blast from the past to me is just another sad reminder that I still live here. Reliving the past is what I do every fucking day driving up and down the same old streets time and time again, eating at the same restaurants, shopping at the same grocery store, seeing movies in the same old theaters and running into classmates day after motherfucking day.

And it isn't as though my buddy never gets a chance to come back into town. He's been here like three times in the last year ... minimum. It was one thing when it was once every two or three years, but now it's just silly.

So long story short, we're having Greek at a nice new restaurant ... owned and operated by a guy we went to school with.

No comments: