If you're like me, and I know I am...

Friday, November 17, 2006

My Huffington Post Post

I just posted a comment here on Huffington Post. It wasn't so much in response to the original post which was by a soldier who was encouraging other soldiers to be in parades and let the American people say thanks. Many responders just wanted to say thanks. My response was to one of the other responses in which someone encouraged this soldier to ignore those who do not pay respect. You will get the gist of what's going on by reading my response but the entire thing is here. My resp0nse is below.



I certainly do respect our men and women in the Armed Forces and give you my thanks as well. I do wonder when other posters say things like, "Please pay little heed to those who show no respect, because it says more about themselves than it does about you."

What does that mean? Are there not enough Americans with magnetic ribbons reading "Support Our Troops" on their cars? Are there not enough people giving their thanks? Are not enough people stepping up to show their respect or are we talking about ANY acts of actual DIS-respect? Because I'm not seeing any of that.

I believe that it is quite often a great person who offers to put themselves in harm's way for the greater good, but there is a great responsibility to make sure our sons and daughters understand that there is a real difference between sacrificing for the greater good and sacrificing themselves for a corrupt administration.

I support our troops but I won't put a magnetic ribbon on my car saying as much because I don't want it misconstrued as approval for this current war. And let's be clear, those "Support Our Troops" ribbons ARE taken to be support for the president and this misguided war in Iraq.

Right after 9/11, a lot of people signed up because they wanted to do some good. They were sorely used and that is a great shame on us all, but maybe just a little bit more so on those in our society that were all so gung ho to get our war on and denounce anyone who said, "hmmm, maybe Iraq isn't the best place to go to fight terrorism."

Again, thanks for your sacrifice and for that of the fallen.

By: gjerrett on November 17, 2006 at 06:36pm

No comments: