If you're like me, and I know I am...

Thursday, June 03, 2004

greatest generation needs to chill the fuck out

I was recently insulted by one of my "veteran friends" for a column I wrote called "Searching for WWII." In it, I basically said that ever since the end of WWII, we have been trying to relive the experience not unlike a junkie looking for that one pure high he got the first time he scored. I rather liked it, as did The Old Town Review and WWII vet friend of mine.

What this other guy seemed to be so pissed about was that according to his perspective, I basically took a huge shit on the 140,000 men who died in Korea by not making it sound as good and pure as WWII. What a bunch of bullshit.

That was kind of the whole point, wasn't it? I mean, we won WWII. I've seen MASH, we basically called Korea a tie after MacArthur fucked it up and got the Chinese involved. If we hadn't gone ramming up to China, ALL OF KOREA would be free today and not just the south.

This note I got, basically helped me to prove my original point, which was that everything we do has to be compared to WWII.

Now Bush Jr. is trying to compare the war on terror with WWII not a full week after that last column.

No comments: