If you're like me, and I know I am...

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Wired again

Lately, I've found my ability to comment on current affairs truncated by a lack of cable. On the one hand it's been kind of nice. I feel a bit less bombarded by images and news and infotainment and ads. On the other, I kind of miss being bombarded.
I have a friend, Mikey, who records Sci Fi for me on Friday nights so I don't go without my weekly fix of Firefly, the Stargates and BSG. I pay close attention to the commercials looking most closely at movie ads, new fastfood inventions/recipes/specials, tv previews and news briefs.
It's kind of sad really, but a man can feel like an outsider when he drives by the movie theater and not recognize any of the titles. I am used to looking and not wanting to see any of the films because they don't interest me, but last week I saw five titles that gave me not one valid reference to something about which I had prior knowledge. I hadn't been anticipating their releases or planning on not seeing them. I just hadn't heard anything about them. I was out of the loop.
Oh look, Wendy's has a new chicken bacon swiss ranch burger ... didn't see that one coming.
Most of this stuff is pretty unimportant, but when London was bombed, I didn't hear about it until the next day.
So I went out an bought an antennae for my tv so I could get more than one channel. Now I'm back on ABC and NBC, which is like going form coffee to cocaine in pop culture terms. I guess I'm addicted. I guess I'll never make it as a hermit.

No comments: