If you're like me, and I know I am...

Monday, June 18, 2007

Sorry for using "peccadillo" as well

Here's a little peccadillo of mine. The other day, I used the word obsequious
in a meeting. Of course I got "I don't know what that means.
 
Even from the context, it should have been pretty obvious
that obsequious meant "kissing ass." Mea Culpa, I guess, for not
dumbing things down for the masses. What gets me is how grown people
can shamelessly admit they don't know the meaning of an 8th grade vocab
word that just rolled off my tongue and brain from habit and not some deep-
seated desire to impress others. I actively avoid using big words most times
because people do assume that no one can use "big words" unless they
are faking it for some perverse reason. I guess I secretly like having to come
up with dictionary definitions that the masses can also understand.
 
I made the point once that "irregardless" isn't a real word in the sense
that it is listed in the fuckin' dictionary as an improper form of speech
probably confusing regardless and irrespective. On that occasion I got,
"It is a word.... I use it all the time." Followed by awkward silence.
 
Oh yeah, that's the proof that a word is proper, that lots and lots of dumb
people use it. Like "zesty" and "lite" and "crumbalievable" and "wassup."
 
Dear stupid people of the world, fuck off!
   
 
P.S. Spell check didn't blink at "Zesty" or "Lite" so fuck you too, spell check!


We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love
(and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.

No comments: